Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Novice Garden

My mom has been wanting to plant a garden on our land for quite some time.  This year, the idea sounded less frightening appealing to me so we devised a plan.

We thought about what types of plants we'd like and Mom came up with this awesome chart:


Here's our awesome neighbor who loves to
work onour land just for fun. 
Seriously. 

He rototilled a 10x10 area for us in no time.

He even "flagged" it for us.

TA-DA!

We planted:
3 types of lettuce
Grape, beefsteak, cherry, tomatoes
Green peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, broccoli
Snap Peas, spinach, beets
Rhubarb, watermelon
Chocolate mint, basil, chives, oregano,
Cilantro, lavender, lemon balm, parsley

We planted the garden the 3rd weekend of May, and already we had to split the beets and have some
"green" cherry tomatoes.

I am really enjoying this project.  One, because I've never done a garden before.  Two, Jeremy's grandparents used to have a gigundo garden in the same general area and I think they'd be proud we've ventured into gardening. Three, because I get to spend time with my mom.  When I was little I remember us planting flowers in the backyard in the rain.  It was so much fun!  Why I remember that I don't know (besides the fact I have the memory of an elephant), but I do know that I treasure moments like these with my Mom. 

So, not bad for a novice garden, hey?

1 comment:

Directions for Leaving a Comment:

Scroll down to the bottom the post you wish to comment on. You will see the time/date stamp on the bottom along with the number of comments and a small envelope. Do NOT click on the envelope! Click on the "0 Comments".

A text box will appear for you to write your comment. You can use Anonymous, just leave your name at the end of your comment so we know who you are! Thanks!